Top 10 items to help elderly people stay independent (and safe!)
As we age, it becomes increasingly important to have certain items that can help us maintain our independence and continue to live comfortably in our own homes. From mobility aids to technology that can assist with daily tasks, there are a variety of products available to help older people stay independent. Here are the top 10 must-have items for elderly people with some recommendations for items that are available to buy easily on Amazon and other sites*:
- Mobility aids: Canes, walkers, and sticks are essential for those with mobility issues. They can help seniors move around more easily and safely, reducing the risk of falls. Why not try this adjustable height, folding stick: https://amzn.to/3WpiIS5
- Medication reminders: Forgetting to take medication can be dangerous, especially for those with chronic conditions. Medication reminders, such as pill organisers or smart pill dispensers, can help ensure that seniors are taking their medication as prescribed. You could try this handy box: https://amzn.to/3iCCwmZ
- Adaptive utensils: Arthritis or other conditions that affect hand dexterity can make it difficult to use regular utensils. Adaptive utensils, such as weighted utensils or utensils with built-up handles, can make it easier for your loved ones to eat independently. This useful set is inexpensive and has excellent ratings: https://amzn.to/3IMctob
- Grab bars and handrails: Installing grab bars and handrails in key areas of the home, such as the bathroom and near stairs, can provide extra support and stability for you or your loved ones. https://amzn.to/3ZrJATY
- Personal emergency response systems: Personal emergency response systems (PERS) are devices that can be worn as a pendant or wristband and allow the person to call for help in case of an emergency. They can provide peace of mind for both elderly people and their loved ones. This smart set gives peace of mind: https://amzn.to/3QD2ByJ
- Adaptive clothing: Buttoning, zipping, and tying clothes can be difficult for seniors with arthritis or other conditions that affect fine motor skills. Adaptive clothing, such as clothing with Velcro closures or easy-to-use snaps, can make getting dressed easier. Cosyfeet make an excellent range of easy to put on footwear for swollen feet and you can browse their store here at cosyfeet.com
- Smart home technology: Smart home technology, such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, can make it easier for seniors to control their lights, thermostat, and other devices with voice commands. Amazon’s echo dot is small. Light, easy to connect, can provide company and entertainment and can give peace of mind and can even be set up to call you when asked: https://amzn.to/3iCCvPT
- Mobility scooters: For those with more serious mobility issues, a mobility scooter can be a great way to regain independence and get around more easily. Although pricey, this can be a great way to give an elderly person a bit more freedom: https://www.clearwellmobility.co.uk/cat/mobility-scooters
- Memory aids: Memory aids, such as a whiteboard, magnetic blackboard or calendar, can help seniors with memory loss to keep track of important events and appointments. This magnetic board is easy to use and easy to afford: https://amzn.to/3IHjExQ
- Large-button phones: For seniors with vision or dexterity issues, a phone with large buttons can make it easier to make and receive calls. This one is a bestseller and has great ratings: https://amzn.to/3CLZn6k
These items can make a huge difference in the quality of life for elderly people. It can help them stay safe, independent and comfortable in their own homes.
It's always best to consult with your loved ones and healthcare professionals to determine which items would be most beneficial to them. Each person's needs are unique, so it's important to find the right products to meet those needs. With the right tools and aids, your elderly relatives (or you!) can continue to live independently and enjoy a good quality of life.
*Our suggestions have not been tested by us but have been chosen based on a best selling rank/average rating review on Amazon. We advise you to do your own research and we do not personally endorse any of these products. Products are shown with an affiliate link for which we may receive a small commission if you purchase.